- Great Britain 1840 1d black, plate 3, SG2 mint block of 12 - known as The Black Dozen.
- This mint block of 12 Penny Black stamps is the largest known multiple from Plate 3 in private hands.
- Provenance from the esteemed Chartwell Collection.
- Accompanied by a 2012 British Philatelic Association (BPA) certificate.
- One of the crown jewels of Great Britain philately.
Vertical creasing in "D" and "I" columns does not detract from this being one of the great mint multiples of this issue.
This is an extremely rare opportunity to own a sizable, mint condition multiple from the original stamp issue, which continues to be one of the most widely collected in the world.
Plate 3 was the first to be hardened before being put into press, resulting in stamps that were notably stable in printing, with even colour, and showing the deepest shades of black.
Providing some of the finest stamps of the issue, it soon became worn and was the first plate of the issue to be destroyed. As such, good quality stamps from this plate are a rarity.
- BUY NOW: Order online, by phone +44 (0)1534 639 998, or via email email@example.com
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.