A number of iconic pieces of movie memorabilia were consigned this year, with many performing superbly against their estimates - in particular Gene Kelly's suit from Singin' in the Rain. Classic films provided the top lots in 2014, with the $4m sale of the original Maltese Falcon statuette in November capping an exceptional year.
Top movie memorabilia sale of 2013
- The biggest selling item this year by a large margin was the iconic Maltese Falcon statuette from the 1941 film of the same name, which achieved $4m in November. It is one of two known examples, but the only one confirmed by Warner Brothers to have appeared onscreen.
2013's important movie memorabilia sales
- In April, a laser rifle prop used by William Shatner in the second episode of the original series of Star Trek achieved $231,000.
- A collection of costumes worn by Julie Andrews as Maria in the Sound of Music realised $1.3m in July. The lot also included outfits worn by other members of the Von Trapp family.
- A Walther PPK airgun used in a number of publicity shots for the James Bond series in the 1960s made $330,000 in July - achieving a 1,036% increase on a $20,000 estimate.
- A one of a kind Frankenstein insert poster hammered for $262,900 in July.
- The 1940 Buick Phaeton 81C convertible from Casablanca sold in the same sale as the Maltese Falcon statuette in November, achieving $461,000.
- The white Lotus Esprit that transforms into a submarine in classic Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me sold for $861,767 in September.
- The blaster pistol used by Harrison Ford in his role as Han Solo in the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sold for $200,000 in December.
It was a breakout year for…
- The suit worn by Gene Kelly in Singin in the Rain achieved a 431% increase on an estimate of $20,000 to make $106,250 in December. Incredibly the suit was originally bought for $10 in 1970.
It was a year to forget for…
- A Dorothy dress worn by Judy Garland in test shots for The Wizard of Oz, valued at $300,000, failed to sell at Profiles in History in December.
One you may have missed…
- An ultra rare vinyl cape Jawa figurine, made soon after the release of the first Star Wars film, sold for $16,508 in October.