The 190SL was introduced in 1955, the same year of Mercedes' dominance at the Mille Miglia with the 300SLR. A graceful, two-door, convertible grand tourer, it was sold alongside the road-going version of the SLR - the 300SL - whose styling it strongly resembled.
Yet the underpinnings of the two cars were quite different. While the 300SL had a purpose-built tubular spaceframe (W198), its smaller sibling was built on a shortened version of the 'Ponton' saloon (W121) platform, which was of monocoque construction.
The 190SL also boasted an all-new engine: an over-square SOHC straight-four unit of 1897cc which produced around 120bhp. It was coupled to a manual four-speed gearbox, operated by a lever between the seats.
Meanwhile, the car's suspension comprised double wishbones and coil springs at the front, and coil-sprung swing axles at the rear. It steering was controlled by a recirculating ball with braking by power-assisted drums all round.
Collectors had a rare chance to own a 1961 right-hand-drive version of the 190SL at H&H's Buxton, Derbyshire, auction on October 1. The example offered is finished in Silver, with a blue leather interior.
According to the auctioneer's sale notes, the vendor purchased the Mercedes 12 years ago and then embarked on an extensive seven-year restoration. The engine was overhauled and a new clutch fitted.
"The suspension and brakes were refurbished and a new floor, exhaust, tyres and wiring loom installed. The body was resprayed, the interior re-upholstered and new carpets and a blue German hood fitted," read H&H's notes.
With just 2,000 miles on the clock since the completion of these works, the car rolled onto H&H's auction block boasting "excellent" (in the words of the seller) coachwork, paintwork, engine, gearbox and transmission.
MOT'd until August 2011 and taxed until the end of July, the 190SL rolled to a final price of £40,150.
- Click here for all the latest Classic Cars news