Bonhams Annual Scottish Sale got off to a flying start, yesterday (August 17), taking over £1.25m during a morning of picture sales.
Anne Redpath's beautiful 1937 painting, 'Still Life with Michaelmas Daises' sold for an astonishing £134,000 well over the pre-sale estimate of £30,000- 50,000.
Meanwhile, "Cagnes" by the same artist sold for £114,000 against an estimate of £60,000 - 80,000.
George Leslie Hunter's vibrantly coloured 'Still Life' made £144,000 and one of Samuel John Peploe's iconic paintings of Iona sold for £86,000.
"This was a very strong sale with good quality works," said Chris Brickley, Head of Pictures at Bonhams Edinburgh.
"I'm particularly pleased to see the Redpaths [one of Scotland's finest woman artists] doing so well and getting the recognition which her talent deserves."
In total the paintings sale made over £1,250,000 with 86% sold by lot and 94% sold by value.
The Scottish sale continues over the next three days and includes, tomorrow, the auction of a bottle of whisky recovered from the 'Whisky Galore' shipwreck.
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from investing in classic artworks
- Click here for all the latest Art news
Join our readers in 190 countries around the world - sign up for your free weekly Collectibles Newsletter today
Recent and related articles...
· McTear's art auction could 'Quench' the thirst of collectors | 12 July 2010
Next week, McTear's host a contemporary art auction - with a number of pieces from Peter Howson OBE
· Cadell's 'definitive' Colourist painting auctions in Edinburgh | 19 April 2010
Estimated at £60,000, Francis Cadell's iconic landscape of tiny Iona island will sell at Bonhams
· 'Most respected' Scottish artist's work valued at £30,000 | 12 April 2010
Gemmell Hutchison's Message In A Bottle 'is quite the best I've ever seen by the artist,' says expert
· Sale of Scottish art is expected to bring £4m | 17 September 2009
London auction to feature some of the most prominent Scottish artists
· 'Borders Painter' watercolour achieves record price | 26 August 2009
A work by one of Scotland's most treasured artists sold for £16k - a record for a work by the 19th century painter