Arrow Fat Left Icon Arrow Fat Right Icon Arrow Right Icon Cart Icon Close Circle Icon Expand Arrows Icon Facebook Icon Pinterest Icon Twitter Icon Youtube Icon Hamburger Icon Information Icon Down Arrow Icon Mail Icon Mini Cart Icon Person Icon Ruler Icon Search Icon Shirt Icon Triangle Icon Bag Icon Play Video
  • Bentley with a remarkable history sells for £670,500
  • Post author
    Paul Fraser
  • aBentleyremarkablewith

Bentley with a remarkable history sells for £670,500

The most anticipated sale emerged as the clear winner in Historics at Brooklands' classic cars auction, earlier this week (June 2).

A 1931 Bentley 4½ Litre Vanden Plas Open Tourer - the 16th-to-last of its kind ever built (see our previous report, June 1) - was the day's biggest sale, with a back story as impressive as its magnificent bodywork and engineering.

Built some years after the marque began in 1927, this example boasts many of the improvements added throughout the car's production.

During this time and against expectations, the 4 1/2 Litre's racing siblings superseded the 6 Litre as Bentley's "great white hope" at prestigious events like Le Mans.

This supercharged road version has a remarkable life story - including 'vanishing from the radar for a few years' and car later reappearing in London during the Blitz in 1940-41.


The  1931 Bentley 4½ Litre Vanden Plas Open Tourer

By then, it had been converted to a utility vehicle and was used to carry supplies during World War II.

The car was later owned by Sir Malin Sorsbie, then Chief Game Warden of Kenya, who sent the car to London to be restored to resemble its original Harrison body.

It went through another five-year restoration in the 1980s to sport Birkin-style Vanden Plas team coachwork, with a John Bentley supercharger later added in the 1990s.

Auctioned with a one-year MoT test certificate and Swansea V5C registration certificate, the historic car sold for a remarkable £670,500 (including buyer's premium).

The Bentley auctioned alongside a very important MGB Roadster, estimated at £90,000-£130,000, whose incredible significance may have been lost on non-MGB enthusiasts.


The 1964 MGB Roadster Ex-works 'Comps Shop' Rally Car


Painstakingly built by Den Green and Knobby Hall at the MG "Comps Shop", this MGB - BRX 854B - was first registered in August 13, 1964.

The car made its competitive debut later that month at the Spa-Sofia-Liege rally, and later raced in events including Tulip Rally and Geneva rally before being garaged and retired for 23 years.

Later released from the garage and treated to a painstaking and faithful restoration, leading MG Historian John Baggot believes that this model is the final genuine works car in existence.

It was snapped up by a lucky collector for £147,000. Brooklands' auction was held in Surrey, UK.

  • Post author
    Paul Fraser
  • aBentleyremarkablewith