A unique collection of seven books, signed and inscribed by Queen Mary (1867-1953).
Mary, also known as Mary of Teck, was the wife of King George V and grandmother of Elizabeth II.
The hardback books, which detail the history of Windsor Castle and its artworks, are desirable in their own right.
The addition of Queen Mary’s personalised inscriptions makes this an extraordinary collection.
The books have unimpeachable provenance. Queen Mary gifted the items across seven Christmases to doctor Sir John Weir GCVO, who was the Physician Royal for the British Royal Family from 1918 to 1971. Weir was Physician Royal to monarchs George V, Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II. Ownership passed down by descent.
The books and inscriptions are:
- A catalogue of the drawings of Leonardo da Vinci in the collection of his majesty the king at Windsor Castle, Cambridge University Press – “To Sir John Weir from Mary R, Christmas 1942”. Two volumes, one unsigned.
- Sandby Drawings at Windsor Castle, Phaidon Press – “For Sir John Weir from Mary R, Christmas 1946”
- Canaletto Drawings at Windsor Castle, Phaidon Press – “From Mary R, Christmas 1947”
- Italian Drawings at Windsor Castle, Phaidon Press – “To Sir John Weir from Mary R, Christmas 1949”
- English Drawings at Windsor Castle, Phaidon Press – “For Sir John Weir from Mary R, Christmas 1950”
- Windsor Castle by Sir Owen Morshead, Phaidon Press – “For Sir John Weir from Mary R, Christmas 1951”
- The Drawings of the Caracci at Windsor Castle, Phaidon Press – “To Sir John Weir from Mary R, Xmas 1952”
All in very good condition. A rare opportunity.
All lots are subject to a buyer’s premium, payable by all buyers, of 25% of hammer price (inclusive of VAT)
Payment, including buyer’s premium, delivery fees and any transaction fees, shall be made in GBP Sterling by Bank/Wire transfer, details of which shall be included with your invoice.
We will arrange postage and packing quotes from Royal Mail / Jersey Post and organise delivery of the winning lots. Delivery fees vary upon location and size of package. Please see your invoice.
Please note we cannot be held responsible for delivery after the item has been delivered to the carrier.
£1 – 200 (£10)
£200 – 500 (£25)
£500 - £1,000 (£50)
Please click here for full terms and conditions: https://www.paulfrasercollectibles.com/pages/auction-terms-and-conditions
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.