The ultimate 'bulk investment': Bordeaux wine 'superlot' sells for $320,000
Comprising 50 cases from 1995-2004, a lucky US auction buyer may need to extend their wine cellar...
It was billed as a "superlot", and that's probably the best word to describe the 50 case offering of first-growth Bordeaux which starred in Skinner's November Fine Wines Auction.
Spanning the years 1995-2004, the cases were sold with paperwork to verify their provenance and a $200,000-300,000 pre-sale estimate.
It's perhaps no surprise that the lot comfortably exceeded expectations, in the end going to a lucky buyer for $320,000. Overall, Skinner's fine wines sale grossed $1.5m.
Other stars lots in the sale included 12 bottles of the Château Lafite Rothschild 1982, auctioned for $48,600, while two bottles of the Domaine de la Romanee Conti Montrachet 1998 brought $4,860.
Elsewhere at the Bordeaux-dominated event was a lot comprising nine bottles of the Château Cheval Blanc 1990. In the end, it sold for $7,898.
Skinner's Fine Wines Auction was held in Boston, US on November 2.
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in wine from great vineyards
- Click here for all the latest Wine, Whisky & Spirits news
Recent and related articles...
· Rare 1961 Chateau La Mission Haut-Brion magnum stars in online sale | 24 October 2010
Edward Roberts of Chicago is offering the chance to own this rare wine magnum in its upcoming auction
· Exceptional Bordeaux lot is valued at £6,500 in Bonhams' fine wines sale | 21 October 2010
A dozen 1983 bottles including the Lafite Rothschild and Mouton Rothschild are auctioning today
· 'One of the UK's finest-ever private collections of fine wines' is up for sale | 19 October 2010
The 1990 Château Pétrus and Robert Parker's favourite the 1961 Latour are among the highlights...
· Paul says... 'Why shrewd collectors have their eyes on Hong Kong and Macau' | 13 October 2010
Michael Jackson, a $38m pink diamond and World Record wines - it's all happening in the East...
· Secondary markets boost success of 'exceptional' Australian fine wines | 11 October 2010
The Penfolds Grange and Torbreck RunRig Shiraz are among the stars in Langton's brand new list...
By Paul Fraser