‘Monumental’ and ‘colossal’ wine vintages sell as $35,000 lot in Paris
This lot is a must see, featuring an octet of critic-adored Latour, Margaux and Pétrus 2000 vintages
Artcurial's upcoming Wines and Spirits sale in Paris on January 25 promises some unmissable opportunities for lovers of the finest Bordeaux.
Among the auction's highlights with an impressive €26,000-27,000 ($35,154) estimate is this lot, comprising eight magnums of classic Bordeaux in an original wooden box from the year 2000.
As the price suggests, the bottles contained within are worthy of most wine experts' 'top 10' lists. Included are two bottles each of the Chateau Latour, Margaux, Pétrus and Haut Brion.
The Margaux 2000, in particular, was once described by the Wine Advocate as "a colossal example of Chateau Margaux." It was awarded 100 points by both the Wine Advocate and the Wine Spectator.
Meanwhile the Latour 2000, produced in a relatively abundant 14,000 bottles, has been dubbed the "best Latour since 1990" (Wine Spectator, 100 points) - although it is arguably third behind the exceptional 2003 and 2009 vintages.
Pétrus and Haut Brion, meanwhile, will need no introduction to wine enthusiasts. Both are regular stars at the world's top wine auctions with an average value of $10,400 for a single magnum of the Pétrus 2000.
"A prodigious Petrus, this wine has that extra level of intensity and complexity that is monumental" said the Wine Advocate. Elsewhere, critic Janice Robinson described it as "Extremely seductive and almost hides those pretty fierce tannins."
Needless to say, these eight magnums of "colossal" and "monumental" wines are sure to be the star lot for collectors and alternative investors alike at Artcurial's auction in Briest-Poulain-F.Tajan.
- Click here to view our stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in fine and rare wines
- Read all the latest Wine, Whisky and Spirits news
Recent and related articles...
· New radio tags help 'five star provenance' Bordeaux wines invade China | 6 December 2010
Here's a look at how new technologies are aiding the success of the collectibles markets in Asia
· Acker toasts the start of the Christmas season with some fine Lafite wines | 3 December 2010
The year is not yet done for the great wine auctioneer as it has two major sales yet to come
· The Story of... Germany's alluring fine wine markets | 1 December 2010
It isn't all about the Bordeaux, y'know... Germany has also been enjoying some successes of its own
· Two of Robert Parker's special favourites are to star at Leland's fine wine auction | 26 November 2010
Rated by the great critic with 100 and 99 points, this Lafite and Haut-Brion will sell next week
· Scored 100/100 by Robert Parker, US auction unveils the 'intense' Lafite 2000 | 22 November 2010
From the temperature-controlled cellar of an avid wine collector, here are two exceptional wine lots...