Revealing Canada's most expensive diamond: the $2.8m Ekati Spirit
A 78-carat diamond found in northern Canada last year is now the country's most expensive diamond
The closely guarded sale of the Ekati Spirit is a secret no more.
The 78-carat, gem quality specimen, is widely reported as having sold for $2.8m at auction in Antwerp, Belgium earlier this week.
It has been called Canada's finest diamond but although the price is now clear, the identity of the investor who bought the wonderful piece, and their intentions for it, remain a mystery.
The Ekati Spirit is currently in a rough cut form, leading many experts to wonder if the diamond will remain in its entirety or if the buyer will split it up in the hope of extra profit.
The rock was discovered last year in the wilds of northern Canada at BHP Billiton's Ekati mine, near Yellowknife.
Prior to the sale BHP Billiton called the 21 x 18 x 13mm diamond "the most significant gem quality diamond to be discovered" at its mine since excavations began in 1998.
The company's biggest success prior to this was a pear-shaped 10.22-carat gem which realised $1.2m.
The company states that the name Ekati Spirit "represents the people of the North, the communities in which we operate, and those who have helped define our distinguished history."
- Click here to view our jewellery stock for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in jewellery
- Read all the latest Watches & Jewellery and Unique items news
Recent and related articles…
· 'Supergran's' handbag swings into auction - and it isn't the first | 17 February 2011
As a handbag used to halt a jewellery raid goes under the hammer, here are some other examples...
· $35,000 gold and diamond butterfly flutters over collectible US coins | 17 February 2011
The exquisite piece by Asprey & Co will star in Antique Helper's jewellery auction, this weekend
· Collectors can celebrate Presidents' Day with Civil War militaria | 16 February 2011
Military collectibles from a civil war captain are set for auction this Monday in Pennsylvania
· Spectacular '$25,000' art deco ring should sparkle at Morphy Auctions | 16 February 2011
This 14 karat art deco ring will be among the highlights at next week's huge ring and bracelet sale
· Could this 78-carat jewel be Canada's most expensive diamond? | 15 February 2011
The Ekati Spirit was sold yesterday in Belgium - but its auction result remains a mystery
Image: BHP Billiton