In the pink: Christie's follows its World Record pink diamond sale with another
Although not quite in the league of the Perfect Pink, this $6.9m diamond ring was still startling...
Never keen to rest, Christie's Jewellery department followed up their grand sale of The Portland Collection (based around the jewel casket of Winifred Duchess of Portland) and staggering sale of the Perfect Pink diamond for $23m with another sale, this time in New York.
It wasn't a minor sale either. Over 200 lots were offered and the sale raised an extremely impressive $22.1m. The top four lots were all diamond rings.
A pear-shaped fancy intense pinkish orange diamond ring of 10.91 carats sold as expected for $2,378,500 at the impressive value of $218,000 per carat.
A cushion-cut D colour VS2 diamond ring of 22.79 carats sold right at the top of its $2m-3m estimate range for $2,826,500 to a private collector in America.
The top lot however, for which no estimate was provided, was a modified rectangular-cut fancy vivid purple-pink diamond of 6.89 carats. Selling at an extraordinary rate of $1m per carat, it achieved $6,914,500.
Rahul Kadakia, Head of Jewelry at Christie's Americas, commented: "Following the record-breaking $23.1 million sale of The Perfect Pink at Christie's Hong Kong on November 29, a 6.89 carat Fancy Vivid Purple-Pink diamond led the day here in New York at $6.9m, or $1m per carat.
"We are also pleased to report an immediate after-sale of a 37.57ct Kashmir sapphire ring for $542,500. The results of the day's sale bring our New York jewelry sales total to $131m for the year - the highest total ever for the US jewelry auction market.
"We look forward to our next sale at Christie's Paris on December 13 and 14, featuring a great selection of jewels by JAR."
We'll be looking forward to that too as jewels by JAR (Joel Rosenthal) are always exciting, investment-grade pieces. Watch this space for more news on the sale.
- Click here to view our watches and jewellery for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from the Asian art markets
- Read all the latest Watches & Jewellery news
Recent and related articles...
· China is world's 'third auction hub' after $409m Hong Kong sale | 3 December 2010
Christie's massive Chinese sale surpassed its rival Sotheby's, and has helped boost China's status
· The famous and infamous jewellery collections of Henry Philip Hope | 29 September 2010
In the 19th century, a Dutch banker's jewellery collection included two world-famous gems
· Cartier and other great designers come to Christie's jewellery auction | 27 September 2010
A variety of gems from a diamond ring to necklace set with yellow sapphires go under the hammer
· £322,000 art deco diamond ring outshines expectations in London jewellery sale | 23 September 2010
The flawless, magnificent Assher-cut jewel sold alongside a catalogue of the Hope diamond auction
· Opulent opals are set to shine in Bonhams' first dedicated sale | 22 September 2010
The auctioneer has previously sold a $120,000 opal known as the Flame Queen