Patek Philippe's 'first fully automatic chronograph watch' could bring $60,000
This innovative Ref 5960 is returning home to Geneva... With a significantly larger price attached
Hôtel des ventes de Genève in Switzerland's sale next Thursday, December 9, will include a number of luxury wristwatches - and among them is a gem from Geneva, a Patek Philippe platinum watch, ref. 5960P-001.
Ref 5960 first appeared in 2006 and is the first fully automatic chronograph wristwatch that Patek Philippe ever developed.
Original quirks to the watch's design include presenting its chronograph as one meter, instead of the usual three subsidiary dials.
Marked with the Geneva seal, the Patek's features include automatic movement, an annual calendar and fly back chronograph indicating its power reserve at 12 o'clock. As is tradition, both the watch's dial and movement is signed "Patek Philippe."
Luxury accompanies the watch's functionality in the form of 40 jewels and a 21ct gold rotor. Its dial is anthracite (hard mineral coal), with index "shells" and white gold leaf hands.
Glass on the back reveals the timepiece's movement, while the case measures 40mm in diameter.
Clasped in a black crocodile leather strap and sold inside a wooden display box, the watch will be sold with a certificate of origin dated February 18, 2009, documentation in an original leather pouch and a pre-sale estimate of 40,000-60 000 CHF (just over $40,000-60,000).
- Click here to view our Watches & Jewellery stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from investing in fine timepieces
- Read all the latest Watches & Jewellery news
Recent and related articles...
· $1m rose gold Patek Philippe timepiece concludes Antiquorum's autumn season | 18 November 2010
The great range of antique and modern watches also included one worn on Mount Everest
· Hollywood magic blesses $256,000 'Paul Newman' watch in Geneva sale | 18 November 2010
Alongside the world's new most valuable diamond, Sotheby's also auctioned the world's best Rolexes
· A festival of fine timepieces: Salon QP returns with the best in luxury watches | 5 November 2010
Jaeger-LeCoultre, A Lange & Söhne and TAG Heuer are amongst the brands descending on London
· $110,500 IWC Grande Complication watch leads Christie's $12.8m Dubai sale | 2 November 2010
The exceptionally rare watch triumphed over offerings from Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet
· Patek Philippe smashes estimate at 'highest-ever total' Hong Kong watches sale | 14 October 2010
Dated to 2009, this Ref 5971P watch showed that new timepieces can also bring value at auction
Images: Hôtel des ventes de Genève