'Extremely fine' $85,000 1c blue stamp leads Matthew Bennett's US auction
This fresh and bright issue, with great colour and large margins, should prove irresistable to collectors
Matthew Bennett International of Maryland is offering an exciting sale of US Historical Documents, US & Worldwide Stamps & Postal History early next month.
The lots on offer include The Mark Gordon Collection of historic documents, The Dr. Joseph F. Serota Collection of United States and Possessions and the The Don Novicky Collection of US Vending Coils
One of the highlights is as follows: an 1851, 1¢ blue, type I (5) stamp, position 7R1E, fresh and bright with very large margins including a bit of the adjacent stamp visble at the right.
It displays marvelous colour, neat large Boston PAID grid and partial red Boston circular date stamp cancels and suffering only an unobtrusive pressed vertical crease along the left side, otherwise being choice/Extremely Fine.
This stamp was originally sold in 1965 as part of a strip of three, position 6-8R1E, on cover. It is Wagshal census number 5-CAN-009, and should make a fine investment.
Catalogued at $85,000 in Scott, it will sell in the online sale which takes place on March 5, 2011.
- Click here to view our stamps for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in rare stamps
- Read all the latest Stamps & Covers news
Recent and related articles...
· How this little Monkey stamp sold for nearly three times its estimate... | 18 February 2011
China's Year of the Monkey stamps bring six figure sums - but that doesn't mean you can't own one
· Stamps auction boasts 'one of the greatest' Nova Scotian covers | 17 February 2011
A $60,000 bid is expected for this rare and sought-after 1858 one shilling purple quadrisect
· British £5 Orange rarity leads Essex Stamp Auctions' first sale of 2011 | 16 February 2011
Issues from China, Brazil, Russia and the Commonwealth will also star in this month's auction
· This $400,000 cover from Mauritius could be David Feldman's latest triumph | 15 February 2011
The 'Crown Jewel of Philately' will go under the hammer in New York in three weeks' time
· 'Freaks' and rarities of the world descend on Raritan's rare stamps auction | 14 February 2011
This telephone and internet sale will be led by the Oddbjoern Iglebaek Collection of Ukraine...