Oh! Say can you see... The $300,000 first edition Star Spangled Banner
The only first edition of the US national anthem on the private markets is going up for sale in New York
Collectors have a chance to get patriotic in New York on December 3, when a very rare first edition of the lyrics and music of the Star Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key is auctioned by Christie's.
The sheet music will appear with an estimate of $200,000-300,000 and appear as part of Christie's autumn Fine Printed Books and Manuscripts including Americana sale.
Especially remarkable is the fact that this is the only known first edition copy of the Star Spangled Banner in private hands.
Overall, 11 first editions are known to exist in the world. The other copies are all held in institutions or university libraries - and many such institutions would undoubtedly like to own this example.
Francis Scott Key's famous patriotic verses were inspired by the United States flag which flew above Fort McHenry as it was bombarded for hours by a British naval flotilla, in September 1814.
His rousing verse perfectly mirrored Americans' heightened patriotic fervour in the wake of the destruction of Washington and the attack on Fort McHenry.
Newspaper printings entitled "The Defence of Fort McHenry" swiftly circulated, including Key's verse which was combined with a well-known drinking tune called The Anacreontic Song.
Today, the Star Spangled Banner remains the United States national anthem. Popular versions include guitar legend Jimi Hendrix's instrumental rendition at the Woodstock Festival in 1969.
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from important historic manuscripts
- Click here for all the latest Books & Manuscripts news
Recent and related articles...
· Cherrystone auctions 'most famous stamp in the world' the Inverted Jenny | 19 November 2010
In 1918, a pressing plant error produced one of the world's greatest and most valuable collectibles...
· £120,000 acoustic guitar owned by Jimi Hendrix will rock at Bonhams | 17 November 2010
An acoustic guitar Hendrix originally bought second hand for $25 is to go on sale next month
· Declaration of Independence could sell for $500,000 in Massachusetts | 12 November 2010
Skinner's manuscripts sale includes a stunning range of early maps and Americana
· One President to another... John Adams's thoughts on his son lead NY sale | 12 November 2010
Personal revelations in old letters can boost their value, as with this note from a political dynasty...
· John F Kennedy first edition signed by President Obama leads books auction | 25 October 2010
National Book Auctions' sale also offers some excellent rarities relating to travel and New York State