Bentley Continental from 1963 rolls off UK auction block for £159,000
One of just eight examples of its kind ever built, this classic Bentley will bring luxury to its new owner
Bentley is used to turning the heads of collectors at auction, and has done so again at Barons' sale of classic and collectors cars at Sandown Park, UK.
An extremely rare 1963 Bentley Continental 2 Door Coupe by British coach builder Mulliner emerged as the auction's star, rolling to £159,000.
According to a statement from the auction house, the car inspired "a protracted battle, which finally came down to a single bidder in the hall versus a telephone bidder, who was the eventual buyer.
"The packed hall burst into applause as the hammer fell."
That applause was wholly justified. The Bentley is one of just eight examples built in right-hand-drive configuration, and one of only 11 built in total.
The car sold in completely original condition. What's more, it wasn't the only big seller at Barons' event...
Other successes included a pair of Jaguar E-type FHCs. A lovely 1969 Series Two went for an impressive £31,860, and a 1967 Series One 4.2 sold for a very healthy £53,000.
"Jaguars were very much in vogue on the day, with seven out of the top ten cars being representatives of this legendary marque," said Barons' statement.
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from James Bond collectibles
- Click here for all the latest Memorabilia and Classic Cars news
Recent and related articles...
· The Classic Car collection of fashion legend Ralph Lauren | 20 October 2010
Famed for his sense of style in clothing, Lauren's sense of elegance in automobiles is also formidable
· You can travel back to 1970s Italy in this €28,000 Maserati Merak SS | 7 October 2010
A finely restored example of one of Maserati's magnificent 1970s sports cars is selling in Paris
· Over 80 classic cars bring more than £1 million in Brightwell's sale | 1 October 2010
BMWs, Ferraris and TVRs offered an embarrassment of riches at this Leominster, UK auction
· Your chance to bag a $1 million Ferrari at Gooding & Co's upcoming sale | 22 September 2010
This 1972 Ferrari 365/4 Daytona Spider is among the consigned highlights at the January auction
· Bentley is a best seller at Bonhams' £1.9m sale alongside Aston Martin and Rolls Royce | 17 September 2010
British Classic cars prove popular with collectors at the Beaulieu Autojumble Auction