Rare Hockney signed lithograph makes $109,000 at Bonhams art auction
A signed proof copy of Hockney's Image of Celia proved a hit with collectors on Wednesday
A rare, signed proof copy of the lithograph, An Image of Celia, in the original frame, hand painted by David Hockney sold for £66,000 at Bonhams on April 20.
Dating from the mid-1980s, the Picasso-like image of Hockney's close friend, and muse, the textile designer Celia Birtwell, had an estimate of £60,000-80,000.
A rare earthenware ceramic cat made by Hockney in 1955 sold for £33,600 against a pre-sale estimate of £5,000-7,000 at the same sale.
Although Hockney experimented with ceramics in his youth, the works rarely appear at auction and the subject matter - a startled looking cat - is in interesting contrast to the artist's famous love of dogs.
Hockney investors also fought over an early work, the lithograph Fires of Furious Desire - The Most Beautiful Boy in the World, from 1963, which sold for £14,260.
Moving Focus - Walking Past Two Chairs from the mid-1980s, which had been estimated at £20,000-30,000, made £50,400.
In total the sale realised £634,890, with 92% of lots sold.
- Click here to view our Art & Photography stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in art
- Read all the latest Art & Photography news
Recent and related articles...
· Artists join Ben Stiller's charity art auction to help Haiti children | 21 April 2011
Proceeds from September's Artists for Haiti sale will go to education and health programmes for children
A $400m photography fund is providing art investors with the opportunity to enjoy major returns
· Francis Bacon works get first-ever UK expo before London sale | 19 April 2011
After lying in private American collections for decades these pieces are set to bring home the bacon...
· Lost Goya and El Greco artworks could soon be back on the market | 18 April 2011
Two paintings by Spanish masters have been rediscovered by police after more than 10 years
· Grigoriev's Les Enfants makes $1.3m at Christie's Russian art auction | 17 April 2011
The seminal Les Enfants far surpassed its estimate in New York on Wednesday