Zhang Xiaogang $10.1m triptych sets contemporary Chinese art auction record
Forever Lasting Love was the leading light at a weekend of records at Sotheby's in Hong Kong
A triptych by Zhang Xiaogang set an auction record for a contemporary Chinese artwork on Sunday in Hong Kong.
The $10.1m sale of the 1988 Forever Lasting Love oil painting surpassed the $9.5m achieved by Zeng Fanzhi's Mask Series 1996 No. 6 in 2008 and more than doubled its estimate.
Forever Lasting Love, which portrays several nearly nude figures, has been called "a monumental museum-quality work from a defining period of the Chinese avant-garde", by Evelyn Lin, Sotheby's head of contemporary Asian art.
All 106 works at the auction sold, doubling the pre-sale estimates to achieve $54.8m, evidence of the growing market for contemporary Chinese art, especially among Asian investors.
At the same sale Zhang Peili's Series X? No. 3 made $3m, Wang Guangyi's Mao Zedong: P2 achieved $2.5m and Geng Jianyi's Two People Under a Light realised $2.4m - all auction records for the artists.
- Click here to view our Art & Photography stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in Chinese art
- Read all the latest Art & Photography news
Recent and related articles...
· $206,500 ceremonial blade destroys estimate at Christie's Asian art sale | 28 March 2011
A Yazhang jade ceremonial blade was among the top sales in New York last week
· $7.9m Qianlong vase smashes auction record in New York | 25 March 2011
A rare 18th century Chinese baluster vase was the leading attraction at Christie's on Thursday
· Emperor's '$98,500' rare jadeite seal heads to auction in May | 18 March 2011
A double-square seal believed to have belonged to the Chinese emperor Jiaqing is coming to Bonhams
A Qianlong vase that sold in November could soon be available again for investors to fight over
· Beautiful Ming dynasty 'palace vase' leads smashing Oriental pottery auction | 24 February 2011
An extraordinary variety of Chinese and Japanese pottery is available at I M Chait's New York sale