Unusual £70,000 Charlie Chaplin portrait strikes a pose at London auction
This uncharacteristic photograph of Hollywood's famous silent star is a highlight at Phillips De Pury
Here's a quick reminder that lovers of art and photography are invited to place bids in Phillips De Pury's Photographs auction, today (November 3).
The sale will be held in London, with bidders taking part in both the saleroom at Howick Place and online.
Among the auction's various highlights is this distinctive and uncharacteristic photographic portrait of Charlie Chaplin.
Entitled simply Charlie Chaplin and dated to 1925, the portrait is by the legendary US photographer Edward Steichen (1879-1973).
The piece will appear in the sale estimated at £50,000-70,000.
Chaplin was one of a number of famous subjects to pose for Luxembourg-born Steichen's lens. The photographer also carved a legacy as a painter and museum curator.
Watch this space for more news on Phillips De Pury's London auction.
Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in photography
- Click here for all the latest Art & Photography news
Recent and related articles...
· Smokin'! €403,000 for a sheet of stamps showing Audrey Hepburn with a cigarette | 18 October 2010
The exceptionally rare stamps, created less than 10 years ago, went under the hammer for charity
· Demi Moore auctions her $1m Bouguereau painting at Sotheby's | 13 October 2010
William Bouguereau's Frere et Soeur could net the Hollywood actress great returns, next month
· The Story of... Harry Potter and the collectors who invest in JK Rowling | 13 October 2010
We look at how collectors with a stake in the 'world's most successful author' are reaping the rewards
· 'The stars' jeweller,' Fred Leighton, leads India's largest-ever watches auction | 12 October 2010
Collectors can join his list of clients, including Meryl Streep, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Sarah Jessica Parker
Following the Some Like It Hot! star's death last week, Curtis's legacy is set to live on in collectibles
Images: Phillips De Pury