Helmut Newton's photographs could be like a rag to a bull for collectors
This series of images dated to 1961 document Spain's most famous national sport, bullfighting
Whether you find bullfighting captivating or barbaric, it's impossible not to be impressed by these photographic images, Portraits of the World of Bullfighting by Helmut Newton (1920-2004).
Dated to 1961, the set of 132 slides were originally taken around the time of the Seville Feria, held in Andalusia in Spain.
Many images captured by Newton during the same session were used to illustrate a magazine article on bullfighting written by the writer Jean Cau, The Bullfight Explained, published in April 1963.
These included a colour portrait of the noted bullfighter Paco Camino, which featured on the magazine's cover. (Photos by Pat Faure, Lucien Clergue and others also illustrated the article.)
French writer Jean Cau (1925-1993) carried throughout his life a great interest in bullfighting, especially through several of his books.
Various noted bullfighters appear as subjects in the works
Newton, meanwhile, had moved to Paris in 1961, after which the magazine presumably contacted him regarding the use of his photographs for Cau's story.
The works will appear for sale at Tauromachy, based in Marseille, France. They will auction on October 7 at part of its Paintings and Graphic Arts event.
- Click here for all the latest Art & Photography news
Recent and related articles...
· Depictions of India by a pioneering British photographer to sell | 17 September 2010
A collection of images by the much celebrated Andrew Neill are on offer at Bonhams
· Some of the earliest photographs of Fiji will auction priced at $20,000 | 1 September 2010
An expedition by three British brothers into the heart of Fiji resulted in a series of historic photos
· Neil Armstrong and Madonna star in online books and photography sale | 26 August 2010
The sale at Gray's Auctioneers in Ohio also features Amelia Earhart and artworks by a British spy
· Andy Warhol, Dennis Hopper and Ahmet Ertuğ photographs to sell in London | 26 August 2010
Philips De Pury has invited you to consign images to its upcoming November auction
· Pioneering American photographer John Karl Hillers' works head to auction | 10 August 2010
His images show an extraordinary record of a Native American world about to change forever