Pook & Pook's art sale offers a trove of collectible Eastern delights
A Chinese carved jade brush wash is the highlight of next week's Decorative Arts auction
Pook & Pook will conduct a Decorative Arts Sale on Thursday and Friday, February 24 and 25. The 1575 lots will feature items from several Pennsylvania educational institutions and New Jersey and Pennsylvania estates.
The Pennsylvania-based auction offers a huge amount for collectors and investors of all interests but it is the eastern fine art that steals the show.
Noteworthy Asian art will be focused on both sale days. A large Chinese carved jade brush wash, circa 1900, is estimated at $12,000-$18,000. Other highlights include a carved Chinese spinach jade seal, a Chinese pink ground porcelain vase, Chinese jade screens, a jade figure of two boys on a goat and a Chinese bronze incense burner to name a few. A rose medallion, Canton, Imari, and carved jades and ivories add to the mix.
Russian porcelain and enamelware will tempt buyers. A large silver enamel kovsh bearing marks for Ovchinnikov is estimated at $8,000-$12,000. A Russian silver and cut glass punch bowl and ladle is an outstanding piece and carries an estimate of $6,000-$9,000.
Other items of note include silver elephant form salt cellars, silver enamel egg and spoons, a 63-piece porcelain service by Kornilow Brothers and an unusual Russian silver, jade and champlevé letter opener are all to be sold.
Several significant bronze figures will cross the block. A pair of contemporary bronzes signed R. Estevez carry an estimate of $3,500-$4,500. A figure titled Letoile du Matin after Adrien Gaudez is very attractive and has an estimate of $1,500-2,500. An unusual piece is a modernist sculpture after Jacques Lipchitz, estimated at $2,500-3,500
A gouache by Jean Cocteau, a Tom Bostelle collage, contemporary works by Allison Merriweather and an oil on board by Ernest Albert are also sure to attract attention.
- Click here to view our Art & Photography stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in fine art and photography
- Read all the latest Art & Photography news
Recent and related articles…
· Picasso's striking La Dame à la Collerette leads Swann's New York Print sale | 15 February 2011
A Century of American Prints will also feature works by greats such as Pissaro and Renoir
· Beatrix Potter's guinea pigs scamper all the way to $85,000 in San Francisco | 15 February 2011
Early illustrations by the beloved children's author quadrupled expectations at Bonhams
· $1.9m Scottish Colourist painting could awake collectors at Christie's art sale | 15 February 2011
Samuel John Peploe's The Coffee Pot is expected to add plenty of colour to the May auction in London
· Egyptian bronze could prove it's the cat's whiskers for $30,000 | 13 February 2011
An ancient Egyptian bronze cat could be among the highlights at Bonhams' April auction
· Egyptian legend lives on as the 'hand of Cleopatra' goes to auction | 12 February 2011
This well-preserved relic of Egypt's leader may have felt the bite of the snake that killed her...
Image: Pook & Pook