Aviators duel in California: Wilbur Wright and the Red Baron appear for sale
Rare autographs from the German war hero and flight pioneer are going under the hammer
Next month, Regency Superior is holding a sale of stamps and space & aviation memorabilia. The company has previously sold Concorde memorabilia and Alan Shepard's space suit.
Amongst the aviation memorabilia items, two stand out. One from a pioneer of flight, and the other from a German military hero.
First is a 1909 Wilbur Wright signed picture post card. This includes a hand-written note in black ink dated and signed 'Wilbur' on a picture post card addressed to Miss Mary Dawson, Rochester, Ind. The card is cancelled Dayton, Ohio Jun. 27, 1909.
Note reads: "6-27-09. You ought to have been here for the celebration, surely was fine. Best regards to you all Wilbur-". Card is taped to cardboard backing which we did not attempt to remove, picture on card not visible, but printed at bottom is the legend: "Military Band in Parade at Wright Bros. Home-Coming Celebration at Dayton, Ohio".
Since Wilbur Wright died of Typhoid in 1912, his autograph is far more rare than his brother Orville who lived until 1948. This is a highly desirable early aviation autograph, fine and scarce. The piece is listed at $3,000-4,000 which would make it a great investment.
A cheque signed by the Wright Brothers is currently available.
Second is one of the rarest of all aviation and WW I military autographs on a 4"x1½" piece of off white paper. The 'Red Baron', von Richthofen is credited with 80 'kills' during WW I, the most of any ace for any country. He was shot down & killed on 21 April 1918 near Amiens.
A small picture of his plane in combat is included along with a Certificate of Authenticity from 'Fantasy Autographs'. It is estimated at $5,000-7,000 Regency Superior's auction which takes place on January 28, 2011 in California and online.
- Click here to view our Space & Aviation stock items for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from rare aviation memorabilia
- Read the latest Space & Aviation and Militaria news
Recent and related articles...
· Video of the week...The extraordinary life of Amelia Earhart | 24 November 2010
This week we turn our attention to a pioneering aviator and feminist icon
· Lindbergh and Earhart: these pioneers of flight could bring you sky high returns | 22 November 2010
Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart are two of the most iconic - and collectible - aviation pioneers
· Aviation memorabilia is propelled to centre stage at Battle of Britain auction | 11 November 2010
Alongside the medals of two WWII pilots, early aircraft models and even propellers will be on offer
· Mirage plane soars to six-figure sum at Artcurial's Paris Aeronautics sale | 4 November 2010
The auction touched on the whole of aviation history, including rare Wright brothers memorabilia
· The Collections of Paul Allen | 12 January 2010
The philanthropist, Microsoft co-founder and collector
Image: Regency Superior