'Mythical' $78,000 Romanée-Conti 1945 set to star at Christie's wine auction
One of just 600 bottles from the 1945 vintage is coming to auction in Geneva next month
A bottle of Romanée-Conti 1945 will feature prominently at Christie's Fine Wines sale in Geneva on May 17.
The legendary vintage of the bottle is sure to have many wine investors interested, and its estimate of $56,000 to $78,000 is evidence of the esteem in which it is held.
Bought by the present owner at a Christie's charity auction in May 2007, just 600 bottles of 1945 were produced, making the specimen a much coveted rarity.
The 1945 Burgundy achieved its distinctive flavour due to the hot, dry summer of that year, which produced a small crop of very high quality grapes.
Sotheby's states that this bottle "will remain mythical for many decades" due to "its vintage, which marked the end of a terrible war [and] its contents, the last of the great wine from the prephyloxera (ungrafted) vines which covered the 1.85 hectares of Romanee-Conti."
The contents display an excellent colour and level although the label is "bin-soiled".
A 1945 vintage bottle sold for $32,900 at Christie's Beverly Hills sale in 2006, while another specimen made $26,798 at a London auction in 2007.
- Click here to view our current stock for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in rare wines
- Read all the latest Wine, Whisky and Spirits news
Recent and related articles...
A $30,000 1971 Romanée-Conti will be among the leading attractions at Acker Auctions' April 21 sale
· $60,000 Krug 1996 champagne set to sparkle at Acker Auctions | 7 April 2011
Acker Auctions' sale on April 21 has more than just fine wines to excite investors
· Video of the week… How to buy wine at auction | 6 April 2011
'The best opportunity to buy mature wine under the going rate' - Wine Spectator's wine auction guide
· 1990 Romanée-Conti achieves $233,390 at Hong Kong wine auction | 6 April 2011
The Grand Cru Burgundy continues to prove popular with Asian wine collectors
· Vintage methuselahs set for gigantic $90,000 tussle at Christie's | 5 April 2011
Romanée-Conti methuselahs from 2001 and 2002 will star in Hong Kong on April 10