Record breaking Concorde machmeter set to soar above $11,250 in May auction
A machmeter from the Concorde that broke the trans-Atlantic speed record is up for sale
The machmeter taken from the Concorde that broke the trans-Atlantic flight record is coming to auction in the UK on May 6.
In 1996 the British Airways Concorde G-Boad (210) flew from New York to London in just two hours, 52 minutes and 59 seconds.
The machmeter shows a recording of 202, which denotes twice the speed of sound.
According to the Daily Mail it has a pre-sale estimate of £7,000 although a machmeter from another Concorde achieved £25,000 in 2007.
The piece has been put up for auction by the family of former British Airways Concorde engineer Peter Gravestock, who received it as a gift for long service from the carrier.
Simon Jones, from Somerset auction house Lawrences, commented: "This is a wonderful piece of Concorde memorabilia.
"Very few machmeters appear in auction. We expect a huge amount of interest on the day."
In a Toulouse auction in 2007, a set of landing gear sold for £22,000 while a nose cone from the aircraft made more than £250,000 in 2004.
The Concorde was one of seven in British Airways' fleet before they were retired in 2003.
- Click here to view our space and aviation collectibles for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from aviation collectibles
- Read all the latest Aviation and Autographs news
Recent and related articles...
· An investment that could shoot up at amazing speed... Concorde memorabilia | 11 December 2010
On the day when a model of Concorde was first shown to the world, we look at her collectibles
· Aviators duel in California: Wilbur Wright and the Red Baron appear for sale | 9 December 2010
Rare autographs from the German war hero and flight pioneer are going under the hammer
· Mirage plane soars to six-figure sum at Artcurial's Paris Aeronautics sale | 4 November 2010
The auction touched on the whole of aviation history, including rare Wright brothers memorabilia
· The Story of... Aviation pioneers soaring onto the auction block | 6 October 2010
If you're looking for a solid investment with plenty of history, look no further than the Wright brothers...
· Supersonic Concorde memorabilia brings six times its auction estimate | 4 October 2010
A vast collection of memorabilia related to the turbojet-powered wonder sold at Regency Superior