Record $8,652 figure set for Barack Obama signed letter
A 2009 handwritten letter from the US president to a disgruntled citizen has sold in the US
A handwritten, signed letter by Barack Obama has sold for $8,652 at auction in the US.
The result is a record figure for an Obama letter, an increase of 23.6% on the previous $7,000 record set in 2010.
Obama sent the unique item of political memorabilia, written on White House headed notepaper, in response to a 2009 fax from Virginia resident Tim Mullin, which complained about bonuses handed out by financial services group AIG.
Tim's fax, which he fired off in hope rather than expectation to the White House, was titled: "TO ANYONE WITH ANY COMMON SENSE".
A week later he received a handwritten note, which read: "Tim, Thanks for your letter. I share your sentiments, and we are moving as quickly as we can to restore some common sense to the financial system. Barack Obama."
Speaking of his surprise at obtaining a reply, Tim commented: "This is a very rare letter as it is handwritten on the White House stationary.
"It's well documented the president reads about 10 letters a day from folks like me, and rarely will he actually reply to them so personally."
Mullin sold the letter to a New York collector in 2009 who brought it to the August 17 auction.
A similar Obama note written on White House paper sold for $7,000 in a private sale in 2010.
Replying to a Michigan mother's lament at the difficulties in the job market and medical bills, Obama promised: "Things will keep getting better".
An iconic Change poster designed by contemporary artist Shepard Fairey, in support of Obama's 2008 presidential campaign, sold for £4,560 in 2011 at Bonhams in London.
- Click here to view our autographs for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from historical handwritten documents
- Read all the latest Autographs news
Recent and related articles...
· Iconic Barack Obama 'Change' poster by Shepard Fairey sells at Bonhams | 21 December 2010
'I am privileged to be a part of your artwork' wrote the US President to the street artist...
· Collector unearths JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin for $87,000 | 17 December 2010
A JFK-related sale more suited to Hallowe'en than Christmas proved a big success in the US...
· Sotheby's auctions Kennedy's $3.7m World Record political document | 14 December 2010
Signed by Abraham Lincoln and owned by Bobby Kennedy, this piece of history doubled its estimate
· Bids push the coffin of JFK's killer Lee Harvey Oswald to tens of thousands | 2 December 2010
Just a week after the anniversary of JFK's assassination, this sale isn't for the faint of heart...
· The rare book collections of the 'Galileo of Graphics' Professor Edward Tufte | 1 December 2010
Professor, artist and Presidential appointee, Tufte's collection is headed by Galileo and Picasso
Image: Hammer and Block Auctioneers and Center for American Progress Action Fund