John Lennon's A Day in the Life lyrics sell for $1.2m
Sotheby's in New York has sold the handwritten lyrics for one of the greatest songs of all time
John Lennon's autographed lyrics for A Day in The Life, one of the top hits from The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club band LP, have sold at Sotheby's.
Auctioned in New York, the lyrics - featuring the singer's cross-outs and corrections - realised a final price of $1,202,500.
According to reports, the lyrics sold to a private American collector. Lennon's lyrics for All You Need is Love previously sold for $1.2m, back in 2005.
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit from rock 'n' roll collectibles
- Click here for all the latest Memorabilia and Autographs news
Join our readers in 173 countries around the world - sign up for your free weekly Collectibles Newsletter today
Recent and related Articles...
· The Who, Oasis and The Beatles share a stage at Christie's | 9 June 2010
Guitars played by George Harrison and the Sex Pistols and other memorabilia will rock at auction
Rare and valuable photographs of these giants of rock will sell alongside U2, with copyright, in London
· Our Top Five pieces of rare Rolling Stones memorabilia | 24 May 2010
With their Exile on Main Street LP at #1 in the charts, here are some top collectibles from Jagger & Co
· Eric Clapton, Les Paul and other rock guitars auction in New York | 12 April 2010
Signed axes by the crème de la crème of the rock 'n' roll establishment will sell at Weiss Auctions
· Historic Gibson guitar takes centre stage for $9,000 | 3 April 2010
This old model from 1959 will sell alongside a number of other historical instruments at Skinner