Elton John's 'Cigarette Girl' sells for £25,200 in London
A classic Art Deco statuette consigned by the singer starred in Bonhams' Design from 1860 sale
On June 16, The Cigarette Girl, a stunning and stylish Art Deco statuette famously owned by Elton John sold at auction at Bonhams' "Design from 1860" sale for a fantastic £25,200.
During the 1970s, the singer amassed a high quality art deco collection, sparking a fashion among the rich and famous for work of this period (Barbra Streisand was another fan).
However, much of John's art deco collection was dispersed at auction in 1988. Wednesday's auction represented a rare chance to own a piece from this art deco era.
The piece is the work of Brono Zach. The bronze, carved ivory figure depicts a stylish young woman, arms crossed, in a smoking jacket, trousers and high heels. She is posing provocatively with a cigarette.
Zach specialised in portrayals of women in flirtatious poses and his work has steadily increased in value in recent years.
The sale was one of the highlights of Bonham's Design from 1860 sale, coming well within the expected auction estimate.
- More news on Memorabilia and Art
- Enjoy the read? Don't forget to sign up for your free newsletter with exclusive content
Recent and related articles...
· 'My most valued item? A $5 piece of glass bought at a yard sale...' | 28 April 2010
Antiques expert Reyne Haines once sold a record breaking $1.8m Tiffany lamp. But her favourite collectible is something far less expensive...
· €10,400 Von Stuck horse sculpture to appear in Geneva | 27 April 2010
This two-of-a-kind work by the Münchner Secession founder will race out of the paddock in Switzerland
· Unique 'Four Seasons' clock auctions in Germany | 23 April 2010
Estimated at just €5,000, this circa 1850 timepiece could be a great investment for savvy collectors...
· $377,000 Sonnerie Tourbillon Clockwatch leads Geneva sale | 19 April 2010
Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet and Jaeger-LeCoultre are all well represented at Antiquorum
· £234,000 Mughal hookah brings 20-times its estimate | 16 April 2010
This gilt-decorated 18th century vase sold for well above its £8,000-12,000 value at Bonhams