James D Julia's Antique Firearms Auction goes off with a bang in Maine
The sale, which featured Ernest Hemingway's rifle, achieved an excellent $10m total
The results have come through for James D Julia's March 14th & 15th, 2011 firearms auction and they indicate that the market is stronger than ever.
Some extraordinary record prices scattered across a vast array of firearms niches, together with an ever-increasing number of bidders returning to the chase with a renewed enthusiasm and excitement, all bode well for the firearms collecting world.
The low estimate of everything sold was a tad over $7m and the total realized was just under $10m. But despite record prices and a number of strong very healthy prices and lots of enthusiasm, there were still plenty of bargains and for serious collectors this is an excellent time to be expanding on their collection(s).
Some highlights of the sale were lot 2034, the engraved and gold inlaid 73 deluxe Winchester, estimated at $50,000-$100,000 which, after a furious bidding battle, ended up at $391,000.
A set of three, gold-inlaid Kornbrath engraved Colt single actions, estimated at $300,000-$450,000 realised $345,000.
As we've mentioned, the much touted Westley Richards .577NE which had belonged to renowned author Ernest Hemingway, carried a presale estimate of $150,000-$200,000 and went out at just under $340,000.
Watch this space for more results from this exciting sale.
- Click here to view our Medals and Militaria for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in antique rifles
- Read all the latest Medals and Militaria news
Recent and related articles...
· It's 175 years since the first Colt - and it still blows away the competition | 25 February 2011
The most celebrated handgun of them all changed firearms forever - and is still highly collectible
· Colt revolver of the silver screen's favourite cowboy goes under the hammer | 17 February 2011
William S Hart, a friend of famous lawmen Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp, leads a Florida auction
· Paul says... 'Why it's now your turn to hunt down Billy the Kid' | 16 February 2011
When a one-of-a-kind item of this calibre emerges for sale, it's time for collectors to sit up and listen...
Noble Numismatics is set to offer the VC and Military Medal of a genuine hero of WWI
· From Guns to Drums: US Civil War militaria will fascinate collectors | 8 February 2011
Fontaine's announces a massive sale of items from America's war with itself
Image: James D Julia