Gold-plated Colt Revolver gleams at Greg Martin Firearms and Militaria auction
The beautifully engraved antique sold with some exceptionally rare Lugers
As we've reported, Greg Martin's auction house held a Fine Collectible Firearms and Militaria Auction last week - January 19, 2011.
Among the many fine examples were an ultra rare cased presentation Model 1902 Luger Semi-Automatic Carbine by DWM; a unique Model 1902 American Eagle Cartridge-Counter Luger; a rare Georg Luger Model 1902 Prototype Pistol; and a scarce Model 1907 .45 calibre Luger, one of fewer than 25 manufactured.
However, perhaps the most intriguing lot in the sale was a Custom Engraved and Gold-Plated Colt Bisley Single Action Revolver, bearing medium relief Germanic scroll engraved with gold plating, and two-piece elephant ivory grips. It comes in its mahogany case lined in dusty rose-coloured pool table grade felt.
The panel on the backstrap is blank for future owner's name or initial. Extraordinarily, the recoil shield at left side of frame depicting Indian with war bonnet profile.
The quality of engraving is excellent. It was manufactured in 1898, making it a true antique. In excellent condition, its action is crisp and the bore is fine with just minor frosting at breech end. The case has light scuffs but shows very well.
The piece sold on target at $4,818. It's an excellent example of investment-grade militaria which is very likely to gain in value if it is looked after. For some other examples which are currently available, click here.
- Click here to view our Medals and Militaria for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in antique firearms
- Read all the latest Medals and Militaria news
Recent and related articles...
· Beautiful but deadly: the revolver decorated by the world's finest engraver | 29 December 2010
This $75,000 gun, one of only 20 known to exist, is to feature in a New Year's Day militaria auction
· Valentine's Day Massacre gangster Al Capone's revolver comes to auction | 7 October 2010
'You can get much farther with a kind word & a gun than you can with a kind word alone' he claimed
· The Top Five... Controversial World Leaders' collectibles | 22 September 2010
From British Royalty to Communist dictators, collectibles can shed light on dubious rulers
· The 'best and rarest' Colt Pocket Revolver is available to collectors | 15 August 2010
This rare pistol converted by Sam Colt's friend Alexander Thuer needs no introduction to Colt collectors
· Original 1851 Navy Colt revolver will auction in Detroit | 8 July 2010
Devised by Samuel Colt, this precision revolver could go off with a bang at DuMouchelles' sale
Images: Greg Martin