Car collectors race to success in Arizona
As the classic cars market roars onward, here's a look at RM Auction's $19.6m Arizona auction
RM Auctions' Automobiles of Arizona event attracted bidders from around the world on January 21 and 22, realising total sales of $19.6m and an impressive 89% sell-through rate.
The top seller of the two-day event was the rare 1963 Aston Martin DB4 GT, offered at Thursday night's The British are Coming sale.
Featuring exclusively British marques, the Thursday evening auction brought car enthusiasts in from severe weather to enjoy British Invasion tunes and a host of spectacular examples from across the pond.
A 1965 Aston Martin DB5 from the British-themed night also made it into the sale's top ten, selling for $429,000.
The auction continued with strong results on Friday as a stunning 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra, formerly part of the renowned Otis Chandler Collection, sold for $632,500.
The line-up of concept cars also impressed bidders, with the 1954 Mercury XM-800 Dream Car achieving $429,000 and the 1956 Cadillac "Maharani Special" Motorama Show Car exceeding its pre-sale auction estimate of $150,000 to sell for $225,500.
Top sales at the Automobiles of Arizona event were as follows:
- 1963 Aston Martin DB4 GT $1,001,000
- 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra $632,500
- 1932 Duesenberg Model J Tourster $550,000
- 1933 Rolls-Royce PII Continental Three-Position Drophead Coupe by Gurney Nutting $528,000
- 1930 Duesenberg Model J Arlington Five-Passenger Club Sedan $506,000
- 1954 Mercury XM-800 Dream Car $429,000
- 1963 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III Drophead Coupe $429,000
- 1965 Aston Martin DB5 $429,000
- 1933 Chrysler CL Custom Imperial Dual Windshield Phaeton $385,000
- 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Sedanca Drophead Coupe $357,500.
Preparations are now underway for RM's 12th annual Automobiles of Amelia Island event on March 13, closely followed by this year's annual Collector Cars of Fort Lauderdale, on March 26-28.
Featured attractions at both events will include a select range of consignments from the estate of the noted collector John O'Quinn.
In other RM Auction news, RM's car specialist Peter Wallman took time out to chat exclusively to Paul Fraser Collectibles on the future of car collecting, and about being the proud owner of a 1961 Jaguar E-Type.
- More news on Classic Cars
- Enjoy the read? Don't forget to sign up for your free newsletter with exclusive content
Images: RM Auctions