'Why don't you come home with me?' 1971 Romanée-Conti has several suitors
A $30,000 1971 Romanée-Conti will be among the leading attractions at Acker Auctions' April 21 sale
A 1971 Romanée-Conti magnum is one of the most tempting lots for investors at Acker Auctions' wine sale in New York on April 21.
The incredibly popular Grand Cru has a top end estimate of $30,000, further cementing the Burgundy's reputation as one of the most desirable wines around.
John Kapon, the auction director of Acker, is an enthusiastic supporter of the '71. "The nose said to me, 'Why don't you come home with me?' Incredible, sexy, alluring spice in the nose," he writes.
"Coy but definitely showing some skin…" adds Kapon, who clearly has not suffered the same ignominy as his avian homophones.
A 1978 magnum could push its older brother close in the next lot. With a high end estimate of $30,000 it is sure to be a big hit.
12 bottles of 1990 Romanée-Conti sold for $233,390 at a recent Hong Kong auction, evidence that the market is strong for the vineyard, whatever its vintage.
As regular readers will know, Acker's sale also has a number of tempting champagnes on offer, rounding out what promises to be a superb day of action on the floor.
- Click here to view our current stock for sale
- Learn how you can get pleasure and profit by investing in rare wines
- Read all the latest Wine, Whisky and Spirits news
Recent and related articles...
· 55-year-old Macallan whisky set for $22,000 New York auction | 7 April 2011
New Yorkers looking for the taste of the Highlands will be intrigued by next week's Bonhams auction
· $60,000 Krug 1996 champagne set to sparkle at Acker Auctions | 7 April 2011
Acker Auctions' sale on April 21 has more than just fine wines to excite investors
· Video of the week… How to buy wine at auction | 6 April 2011
'The best opportunity to buy mature wine under the going rate' - Wine Spectator's wine auction guide
· 1990 Romanée-Conti achieves $233,390 at Hong Kong wine auction | 6 April 2011
The Grand Cru Burgundy continues to prove popular with Asian wine collectors
· Vintage methuselahs set for gigantic $90,000 tussle at Christie's | 5 April 2011
Romanée-Conti methuselahs from 2001 and 2002 will star in Hong Kong on April 10
Image: Andrea Schaffer