Lindbergh collectibles prepare to land in San Francisco
A selection of memorabilia relating to the pioneering aviator will auction on Sunday
Charles Lindbergh's legendary solo flight from New York to Paris in May 1920 is still remembered by American aviation enthusiasts as a great leap forward in conquering the skies.
In the years following his feat, a variety of collectible items referring to Lindbergh hit the market, from models or toys representing his famous plane, the Spirit of St Louis, to themed music.
A selection of such rare items is appearing in Bonhams SoMa Estate Auction this Sunday, May 9, in San Francisco.
On offer are: a selection of games relating to manned flight, including The Flight to Paris, a selection of paper memorabilia (photographs, postcards and reference guides) and a set of photos including Lindbergh's signature. The latter are expected to sell for up to $1,000.
The most intriguing pieces however are probably the models: one boxed balsa wood examples and a few boxed and grouped metalplane pieces, generally in very good condition.
In particular, one box of Spirit of St Louis metal airplanes in their original boxes will probably be the most attractive for collectors, with a guide price of $800-1,200.
- More news on Aviation and Autographs
- Enjoy the read? Don't forget to sign up for your free newsletter with exclusive content
Top Five Related Articles...
· Female aviation pioneer flies into stamp exhibition | 17 March 2010
Harriet Quimby, the first woman to fly across the English Channel, is a star at the Smithsonian
· Aviation heroes glide into New York | 22 February 2010
Autographs from Earhart and Lindbergh are set to take off in this week's auction
· Today in History... Amelia Earhart flies from Hawaii to California | 12 January 2010
January 11 1935: The famous aviator makes a daring solo flight above the Pacific Ocean
· Amelia Earhart collectibles could soar thanks to Hollywood | 22 October 2009
Memorabilia owners hope that a new biopic of the aviator's life will increase interest, and sales